The GATE test is administered and conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and the seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) under the supervision of the National Coordination Board- GATE; Department of Higher Education; Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India. The question pattern differs according to the paper code, i.e. it varies according to the subjects and specifications. The GATE question paper consists of multiple choice questions with an option of four answers; out of which, only one is the right answer. The question type is typically based on the following logic:
This category involves the questions based on formulae; basic principles; laws, etc.
This consists of questions based on fundamental ideas; this demands the students to derive the consequences from the basic theories and logics of the subjects.
This entails questions based on logical reasoning; mathematical computation… Under this category, the students are expected to implement their subject knowledge.
- Analysis and Interpretation
This consists of linked type questions and common data questions. The common data type questions comprise of a common passage, data, or the like; from the common passage, or the data, two or more questions would be framed. The questions formed would be independent, but the solutions to both the questions could be obtained from the given passage, or data. The linked type comprises problem solving type of questions. Thus, it consists of a common problem statement to two questions, where solving the second question is based on the answer to the first question; likewise, the two questions are linked to one another. The GATE question paper is said to have 5 different patterns for 5 groups of specifications. These details are clearly stated in the official website for GATE.
The GATE plays a vital role in any student’s life, if it is chosen by the student. Because, if a student gets qualified in the GATE, then he/she would be eligible for the governmental scholarships for undergoing the master degrees; doctoral programs… they would also be eligible for other governmental scholarships via their GATE scores. These features have dragged many students towards the preparation of the examination. Next important thing is to take a look at what is new in GATE ? The details are as follows:
- In GATE , two additional papers, such as, AE (Aerospace Engineering) and GG (Geology and Geophysics) will have online examination.
- The papers, AE and TF (Textile Engineering and Fibre Science) will have 5 numerical type questions, besides the 60 multiple choice questions.
- The offline examination would be conducted in two sessions; forenoon session for one group and afternoon session for another group (the details are provided in the official GATE website).
The most important fact is that the GATE exam bears more significance, i.e. the GATE performance would be given 70% importance in the admission process and the remaining 30% would depend on the student’s academic performance records; interview performance… Thus, the fact that the GATE is one of the significant exams in the professional education couldn’t be denied!
More on GATE
- GATE Answer Key
- GATE Bank Branches
- GATE Codes
- GATE Eligibility
- GATE Exam Centres
- GATE Exam Date
- GATE Exam Pattern
- GATE Notification
- GATE Online Application
- GATE Question Papers
- GATE Results
- GATE Score Card
- GATE Solutions
- GATE Syllabus